By Mohammad Ibrahim
Kaduna (Nigeria) — Nigeria Police Wednesday debunked news report that it had declared sate of emergency in Kaduna state.
Police spokesman in Kaduna, DSP Zubairu Abubakar debunked the news in an exclusive interview with AFRICA PRIME NEWS.
According to him, he was misquoted by a media organization in the state.
“I didn’t know how the reporter came up with the story, that I told him we declared state of emergency. This is because I don’t have the power to do that; only the President or State Governor has the power to declare state of emergency on issues.
“All I remember telling the reporter was that a strong task force team have been set up to deal with crimes, such as kidnapping an the rest. I also said that, a riot act was read to Divisional Officers on how to end insecurity in their localities,” he said.
DSP Zubairu further appealed to media to always stick to their ethics, so as to avoid misquoting people.
Last week, a Christian clergy, Rev. Iliya Anto, died in the custody of kidnappers. An Army Colonel was killed by another set of kidnappers all in Kaduna state.
The incidences raised concern on the security situation in the state – most residents expressed worry and urged Nigerian government and security agencies to end the situation.