Sun. Jul 14th, 2024

Nigeria Committed To Payment Of New Minimum Wage – Official

By Mercy Ofuyah

Nigeria says it will soon pay the N35,000 wage arrears it owed its workers as it has commenced the payment of wage awards.

Minister of Labour and Employment, Nkriruka Onyejeocha, stated this in Abuja at a meeting with the leadership of the Trade Union Congress (TUC) and the Congress of Nigerian University Academics (CONUA), emphasizing that the government is committed to delivering on National Minimum Wage agreement reached with organized Labour in 2023.

Onyejeocha said her meeting with key trade unions was to show the federal government’s commitment to keeping all lines of communication open, forestall future strikes, and create a friendly and peaceful work environment for all workers.

The minister commended the leadership of TUC and NLC assuring both unions of government’s willingness and readiness to not only listen to them but also be partners for the betterment of the people.

Also speaking, the President of TUC, Festus Osifo, praised Nigerian government for steps taken especially in the fulfillment of up to 80 percent of the agreement reached with the management of Road transport employers urging them to complete the remaining 20 percent.

The workers had demanded a wage increase from the federal government to cushion the effect of fuel subsidy removal by the administration of Bola Ahmed Tinubu on assumption of office in May 2023.

The government had agreed to pay N35,000 as minimum wage for six months.

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *