News The African Way

Africa’s Youngest Billionaire Returns Home Unharmed After Release By Kidnappers

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Mohammed Dewji
Mr Mohammed Dewji was kidnapped on Oct 11 by gunmen in Dar es Salaam.

 

Africa’s youngest billionaire, snatched a week ago off the street outside a luxury hotel in Tanzania, has returned home unharmed after being released by his kidnappers, police said on Saturday.

Mohammed Dewji, 43-year-old CEO of the METL Group family conglomerate, was seized as he arrived for a morning workout in Tanzania’s commercial capital Dar es Salaam last week.

Forbes estimates his net worth as 1.5 billion dollars, making him Africa’s 17th richest man and its youngest billionaire.

Lazaro Mambosasa, Dar es Salaam’s police commander, told the media that Dewji was abandoned by his kidnappers in the city’s Gymkhana area at 2:30 a.m. local time.

Dewji had been held in a house in an area where police were about to conduct a house-to-house search, he said.

“He was tied legs, hands and face therefore he could not see.

”He could not identify the abductors throughout the period of captivity,” Mambosasa said. He had only bruises on his hands and feet where they were tied.

“He told us that they treated him very well and gave him food,” he said.

Dewji’s family had offered a reward of one billion Tanzania shillings (440,000 dollars) for information leading to his release, though it was not immediately clear how much the kidnappers had demanded.

Speaking at a news conference, Inspector-General of Police Simon Sirro said Dewji had told them the suspects spoke in English and “broken Swahili” and that a vehicle they had travelled on had foreign plates.

“The good thing is that we are communicating regularly with our colleagues at Interpol,” he told reporters.

See also  Nigeria: Kidnapped US and Canadian citizens freed

Four weapons, including an assault rifle and numerous bullets, were found in the car, which was partially damaged in a botched attempt to destroy evidence, Sirro said.

On its Twitter feed, METL Group quoted Dewji as saying he had “returned home safely”, without providing more details about how he was freed or got away from his captors.

The company also quoted him thanking those who had worked for his release, including the police.

His abduction had caused consternation in the East African nation as he is one of its most prominent business executives and had been a member of parliament in the past.

METL Group is involved in a diverse range of manufacturing, farming, transport, infrastructure, agro-processing and telecoms businesses spanning 11 African countries.

Reuters/NAN,

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

SAcoronavirus.co.za

For more information on COVID-19 and government regulation: Click here

Emergency Hotline: 0800 029 999 WhatsApp Support Line: 0600-123456