Kaduna (Nigeria) – Nigerian Military says it has carried out several air bombardments on Sambisa forest in its resolution to incapacitate the fighting spirit of Boko Haram Terrorist Group,
In a statement, spokesperson of the Nigerian Air Force, (NAF), Air Commodore Dele Alonge, says the bombardment, came after several weeks of tactical plans using the reconnaissance/ surveillance aircraft.
The air strikes carried out by F-7NI and Alpha Jet fighter aircraft, as well as attack helicopters has resulted in the degradation of the terrorists capabilities and destruction of some of their strong holds, the spokesperson said.
The statement says “Intelligence report revealed that as aftermath of the strike missions, the terrorists have been confined and their capabilities greatly reduced, thereby restricting their nefarious activities to small scale attacks and suicide bombings.
“The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar assures all Nigerians that the air efforts would be sustained until the Boko Haram Activities becomes a thing of the past. He further stated that, the Nigerian Air Force with their support is Willing, Able and Ready to meet up with current and future security challenges of the nation.”
On Thursday, the military had announced the deployment of additional platforms in fighting Boko Haram which include the F-7Ni fighter (supersonic) aircraft, Mi-24/35 attack helicopters, Augusta 109 LUH, Super Puma Combat Support helicopter and ATR-42 surveillance aircraft which hitherto had been away for scheduled maintenance.